Banks rally for Loans from CBN as Liquidity falls 2,800%
A lack of funds forced banks to move for loans from Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), as the volume of idle cash (liquidity) in the interbank money market plummeted by 2,183 percent last week.
Financial Vanguard reported that interbank money market liquidity opened at N12 billion on Friday, down from N349.6 billion the previous week.
Last week, banks borrowed from the CBN for N489 billion against N19.2 billion the previous week, a 2,500 percent jump.
Contrary to this, bank deposits with the apex bank plunged by 67 per cent to N25.4 billion last week, down sharply from N73.6 billion the previous week.
In addition, analysis revealed that 86 per cent of banks’ borrowings from the apex bank were repurchase agreements (repos), while the remaining 14 per cent were loans under the Standing Lending Facility (SLF) of the apex bank.
Repurchase agreements (repos) are short-term loans, in which the banks sell government securities (treasury bills) to the central bank overnight, and buy them back the next day at a slightly higher price.
Adding to the severe scarcity of funds, the cost of funds remained elevated throughout the week, with the overnight lending rate rising 3.6 percentage points to 17.25 percent from 13.7% on Monday.
As a result, analysts at Zedcrest Securities said on Friday: “Money market rates remained at double-digit levels, closing the week by an average of two basis points higher than yesterday.”
While some participants stayed camped at the CBN Repo window, others continued to look for deposits from large businesses, leaving system liquidity at N11.98 billion. The Overnight (OVN) and Open Buy Back (OBB) rates closed the week at 16.75 percent each.”
Follow Our Activities On Facebook
#BigBrotherNaija “Level Up” Week 6
Though last Sunday Sunday was meant to be a “no-eviction” day, it came as a shocker when fake housemate, Modella…
Dating in 2022; Situationships Are Not For The Fainthearted
Situationships are defined as that space between a defined relationship and something other than a friendship. It is a romantic…
20 Questions With Dinta Media’s Visual Storyteller, Chimeremogo Nwoke
Dinta Media is not really just a media production brand but we like to see ourselves as a hub for…
How Are Nigeria’s Small Businesses Coping?
The current rising rate of inflation and other burdens against the Nigerian economy speaks to the realities of the times.
Thrifting Is All The Rave Now, Here’s Why
By Amy Adindu The affordable clothing movement has gained global attention and acceptance as we’re all trying to look like…
#BigBrotherNaija “Level Up” Week 2
Week 2 of the highly watched Nigerian TV show kicked off with an early plot twist. On Sunday, Big Brother…
#BlueTunes: Burna Boy, Omah Lay Top Album Picks For July
July was a promising month for music lovers; from Lizzo’s album titled Special and Imagine Dragons’ Mercury, (Acts 1 &…
#BlueTunes Album Picks For June
Gbagada Express – Boj Bolaji Odojukan, popularly known as BOJ, was raised both in England and Nigeria. He shot to…
“A Creative’s Dream” with Jeff Chinonso
On the 26th of June 2022, Jeff Chinonso hosted his first solo art exhibition. The Augmented Reality exhibition themed “A…
Nigerian API-based company Thepeer raises $2.1 million
Tech infrastructure startup Thepeer has raised a $2.1 million seed round according to a report from TechCabal. Thepeer, a Nigerian…
Dika Ofoma, Ugochukwu Onuoha take on grief in Debut Film “The Way Things Happen”
The twenty-minute film focuses on the loss of a loved one, and how grief changes a person.
Nigerian Startups might just be Crippled by a Recently Leaked bill
Over the years there has been talks of amendment on the 2007 Act of the National Information & Technology Agency (NITDA).
Why We Love Kelechi Amadi Obi
The definition of talent is Kelechi Amadi’s iconic story. Imagine a person who studies law in school, gets called to Bar, and leaves it all for something different and unrelated…Painting!