The presidency has shortlisted an Assistant Inspector General of Police from Nasarawa State as a possible replacement of the retiring Inspector-General of Police Ibrahim Idris.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Idris, who clocks 60 years on Jan. 15 paid “a bye-bye visit’’ to President Buhari on Monday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
NAN reports that the outcome of the closed-door meeting between President Buhari and the IGP was not disclosed as at the time of filing this report.
According to reports, Idris is expected to retire from service on attainment of the mandatory 35 years in service or 60 years of age.
A source close to the presidency, who preferred not to be named, confirmed to NAN that a replacement to the retiring IGP would be named on Tuesday, among the shortlisted candidates.
One of the persons said to be on the on the shortlist is AIG Adamu Mohammed. If he gets the nod, it means the DIGs may be required to retire.
“Yes, the IGP Ibrahim Idris is retiring tomorrow and possibly an acting Inspector-General may be named very soon.
“But I will advise that you wait for the official statement to that effect,’’ the source maintained.
IGP Idris, who was appointed by President Buhari on June 21, 2016, replaced Solomon Arase, who retired from the police force on the same day.
Idris enlisted into the Nigerian Police Force in 1984, after graduating from the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria with a Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture.Read More
The Niger State Police Command had on Sunday, arrested a 39-year-old man, Farida Banti, of Hungu village in the Mariga Local Government Area of the state, for murdering his wife.
Farida was reported to have killed his wife, Hajo with a cutlass over their frequent misunderstanding.
Northern City News gathered that Farida had earlier sent his wife to her parent’s house “to learn manners.” According to him, she was disrespectful and needed to learn how to respect him.
After some time, it was learned that Farida demanded that Hajo returns to his home, but she allegedly refused to return.
Farida confessed to killing his wife with a cutlass over what he described as “incessant misunderstanding.”
“I inflicted deep cuts on my wife, which resulted in her death because she refused to obey me.
“In fact, it was an extreme provocation that made me kill my wife.”
When asked whether he regretted his action, Banti said he felt bad for killing his wife but insisted that “women must learn to obey their husbands so that what happened to my wife will not happen to them.”Read More
After a heated argument by various counsels, the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT), sitting in Abuja, has directed that the six-count charge the Federal Government preferred against Chief Justice of Nigeria, CJN, Justice Walter Onnoghen, should be served to him personally.
A three-man panel of Justices of the tribunal headed by Justice Danladi Umar further slated Tuesday next week for the CJN to appear before it to enter his plea to the charge bordering on his alleged refusal to declare his assets.
The tribunal chairman had at exactly 10 am when the charge marked CCT/ABJ/01/19, was called up, demanded to know why the CJN was not in court and if he was served with the charge.
Responding, a former Commissioner of Justice in Kano State, Alhaji Aliyu Umar, who was enlisted by the Federal Government to lead the prosecution team, told the court that the CJN was served through one of his personal assistants.
“When we went to his house, he directed his personal assistant to collect the charge on his behalf. His personal assistant endorsed it, so he has been served”, Umar who led five other government lawyers told the tribunal.
However, Chief Wole Olanipekun, SAN, who led 46 other Senior Advocates of Nigeria and 43 other lawyers, told the tribunal that the CJN had filed a motion dated January 14, challenging jurisdiction of the tribunal to try him.
“My lord we are not just challenging jurisdiction, we are even challenging the jurisdiction of this tribunal to even sniff that charge”, Olanipekun submitted.
Olanipekun further challenged the competence of service of the charge, insisting that under sections 123 and 124 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, ACJA, 2015, criminal charge ought to be personally served on a defendant.
After a clerk of the Tribunal, following a query from the Chairman, confirmed that the charge was received on behalf of the CJN, by one Sunday O. Osai who was identified as his assistant, the prosecution counsel, applied for FG to be allowed to affect another service of the charge on Justice Onnoghen.
The prosecution, however, pleaded the court to direct that the charge should not be handed to another person aside from the CJN. Justice Umar subsequently adjourned the matter till next week Tuesday.Read More
Human Rights Lawyer, Mr. Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa says the charges pending before the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) against the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen are illegal.
Adegboruwa on Monday in Lagos described the entirety of the process as unconstitutional, illegal, null and void, adding that same ought to and should be withdrawn forthwith.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Onnoghen is expected to be arraigned on Jan. 14 (Monday), before the CCT, following six count charges of allegations of failure to declare his assets.
According to Adegboruwa, by the provisions of section 36 (4) of the 1999 Constitution, a citizen who is charged with a criminal offense must be taken to the appropriate forum within the requisite jurisdiction, be it a court of law, a tribunal or such other quasi-judicial organ.
“By section 153 (1) (i) & (2) of the 1999 Constitution, the National Judicial Council (NJC) was established for the Federation of Nigeria.
“By Paragraph 20 (b) of Part 1 of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution, the NJC shall `exercise disciplinary control’ over all judicial officers, including the CJN.
“The NJC being a quasi-judicial organ established by the Constitution, it is the appropriate forum to first raise any matter against any judicial officer, including the CJN; thus, the NJC has exclusive jurisdiction over all judicial officers, including the CJN.
“By the decision of the Court of Appeal in the case of Nganjiwa v Federal Republic of Nigeria (FRN), no criminal charge can be laid against a judicial officer, including the CJN, in any court of law, without first filing such complaint before the NJC.
“The Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) and the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) are both part and parcel of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and are bound by the decisions of the Court of Appeal in Nganjiwa v Federal Republic of Nigeria,” Adegboruwa said in a statement.
According to him, under section 287 (2) of the Constitution, the decisions of the Court of Appeal shall be enforced in any part of the Federation, by all authorities and persons and by courts with subordinate jurisdiction to that of the Court of Appeal.
He said that the CCB and CCT are both subordinate entities to the Court of Appeal, who are bound to enforce, apply and obey the decision of the Court of Appeal in Nganjiwa v FRN.
“From the foregoing, the criminal charges filed against the CJN before the CCT are illegal, ultra vires, unconstitutional, null and void and should either be withdrawn forthwith by the CCB, discontinued by the AGF by filing a nolle proseque, or struck out by the CCT.
“By virtue of section 36 (5) of the 1999 Constitution, every person (including the CJN) who is charged with a criminal offense shall be presumed to be innocent until the contrary is proved,” he said
Adegboruwa noted that by virtue of the “illegal charges” alone, the CJN cannot be asked to vacate his office.
He said that whereas no citizen is above the law to be arraigned or charged for any criminal offense, the CJN must be accorded his full constitutional rights as guaranteed by the Constitution.
“I, therefore, appeal for transparency and uniform application of standards, in the prosecution drive of the administration.
“As we approach the 2019 general elections, I appeal for calm from all, and I urge the Executive arm of government to demonstrate unlimited respect for the due process of law always in order not to heat up the polity unduly, given the current state of affairs of our dear country,” the lawyer said.Read More
Five out of the six governors of the South-South Governors Forum have asked the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, not to honor the summons from the Code of Conduct Bureau.
The Bureau had asked the CJN to appear before the Code of Conduct tribunal for alleged non-declaration of assets.
The governors made the call after an emergency meeting in Abuja on Sunday.
“We call on the CJN to ignore this so-called Court summons from the CCB and the provocative call for his resignation in some quarters,” the governors said in a communique issued after the meeting.
“While we are not opposed to a genuine fight against corruption, such action must always be anchored on the rule of law.”
The meeting was attended by the governors of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Cross River, Delta and Rivers with Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State who is a member of the All Progressives Congress absent.
Bayelsa State Governor, Mr. Seriake Dickson, who is the Chairman of the forum had summoned the emergency meeting on Saturday after the CCT announced that the CCB had filed six charges against the CJN with the trial scheduled to start on Monday.
In the communique, which was read by Governor Dickson after the meeting, the governors said the move by the CCB was unacceptable.
They argued that the legal procedures for investigating allegations of misconduct against judicial officials were not followed in that matter and accused the executive of targetting other arms of government.
“We note that the attempt to drag the CJN to the CCT is also a grave and dangerous escalation of the assault on institutions of state on institutions of the state including the National Assembly and judiciary,” they said.
To them, the move is reflective “of the South-South story of endless marginalization and intimidation”.
“The unceremonious removal of former Acting Director General of the Department of State Service, Mathew Seiyefa and his replacement is still very fresh,” they added.
“We not that that unfortunate action against the CJN further reinforces the perception that the Buhari administration has no regard for the sentiments of Nigerians, in particular, the people of Niger Delta, and the rule of law.”
NAN(News Agency Of Nigeria)Read More
As the nation focuses on possible developments at the Code of Conduct Tribunal, CCT, this Monday morning, the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, has urged the Federal Government to withdraw the charges against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen.
He also asked the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, to apologize to the nation’s judiciary.
Ekweremadu stated this in the series of posts on his Twitter handle, @iamekweremadu, in the early hours of Monday. He described the charges as extremely dangerous for the nation’s democracy. He also emphasized the need to eschew every form of intimidation against other arms of government, especially their leadership. He said this would enable them to play their constitutional roles in the overall interest of the nation.
“This is extremely dangerous for democracy and can only divide the country further as well as alienate us as a country very low in upholding the rule of law and independence of the judiciary.
“I advise the Attorney General of the Federation to immediately withdraw the charges and apologize to the judiciary. We certainly can’t travel this road”.
The Senator noted that the integrity of the Nigerian judiciary remained intact despite obvious constraints.
“I consider the charges against the Chief Justice of Nigeria, His Lordship, Justice Walter Onnoghen as ill-advised and dangerous, especially after similar attempts at the leadership of the National Assembly failed.
A suspect, Okechukwu Nnaji, who allegedly robbed a man of 79 phones worth N3.5 million is to spend the next 11 days in the Kirikiri Prisons, Lagos, on the orders of an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court.
Magistrate M. I. Dan-Oni remanded Nnaji pending advice from the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions.
The court could not take the plea of the accused as the magistrate said she needed the advice.
She adjourned the case until Jan. 22 for the mention.
Nnaji, 38, who resides in Ojo, Lagos, is being tried for conspiracy and armed robbery.
Earlier, Police Prosecutor Victor Eruada told the court that Nnaji committed the offenses on Oct. 26, at the Toyota area on the Apapa-Oshodi Expressway, Lagos.
Eruada said that the accused, armed with a pistol, robbed Mr. Ifeanyi Eze of a carton containing the 79 pieces of phones.
“Eze who was on his way from Ikeja -where he went to buy the phones – to his office in Surulere, boarded a bus which the accused was one of the occupants.
“The accused pulled out a pistol to attack him before dispossessing him of his property and, in the process, sprinkled a watery and peppery substance which made him unconscious,” he said.
The alleged offenses contravene Sections 297 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised).
The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has carefully created a gap between itself and the Federal Government’s Advisory Committee saying it has no relevance to the new National Minimum Wage agreement.
Mr. Ayuba Wabba, NLC President, who spoke in an interview with the News Agency of Nigerian (NAN) on Thursday in Abuja, said the committee has no bearing with the agreement reached on the minimum wage.
NAN recalled that President Muhamamdu Buhari had on Wednesday inaugurated a Technical Advisory Committee on the implementation of the new National Minimum Wage and reiterated his commitment to its payment.
He said the committee would recommend “modalities for the implementation of the new minimum wage in such a manner as to minimize its inflationary impact, as well as ensure that its introduction does not lead to job losses’’.
“The work of this technical committee will be the basis of a Finance Bill which will be submitted to the National Assembly, alongside the Minimum Wage Bill,’’ he added.
According to Wabba, the Advisory Committee on minimum wage has no bearing with the agreement reached on the minimum wage.
“The Minister of Labour and Employment, Sen. Chris Ngige had told us that the committee is an internal process of the Federal Government.
”I think it is their own way of facilitating and mobilizing their own resources for the implementation and also making sure that nothing is left undone and we do not have any problem with that.
“So, it is normal, I think, because initially we were thinking it is a committee that will renegotiate the new national minimum wage, but they said no, it is an internal process of government.
“So, it is not our problem, but essentially their own and it does not in any way affect our interest, the government has the right to set up any committee and we are not even members of that committee, “he said.
He, however, said that he was informed that the committee was strictly on their own to guide government on how to implement the minimum wage, adding, “so clearly if it is how to implement, we do not have a problem with that.
Wabba also said that the advisory committee would not in any way affect the timeline of Jan. 23 agreement reached between organized labor and the Federal Government on the transmission of Minimum Wage Bill to the National Assembly.
The Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has warned owners of illegal petrol stations and gas plants to regularize their registration before the end of the first quarter of 2019.
The Abuja Zonal Operations Controller, Mr. Abba Misau, made this known at the DPR 2018 Annual General Stakeholders meeting on Thursday in Abuja.
The Theme of the Meeting is “Regulatory Compliance as a veritable tool for safe and efficient operations in Nigeria’s oil and Gas Industry’’.
He said non-compliance to statutory regulations in petroleum products storage depots, filling stations and LPG outlets had led to huge losses in investment, lives, and degradation of the environment.
“I must, however, stress here that a time frame has been set to the first quarter of this year for owners of illegal outlets- filling stations and gas plants to regularize their facilities.
“DPR will take all necessary measures within the ambiance of the law on any illegal retail outlets that failed to regularize after the expiration of the grace period,’’ he said.
Earlier, Mr. Mordecia Ladan, DPR Director said that operators in the downstream segment of the Nigerian petroleum industry were increasingly flouting Standard Operating Procedures in the sector.
He noted that the flouting of operating procedures and refusal to comply with regulations and guidelines by operators has increased safety challenges in the downstream sector.
Ladan said that the DPR would use its constitutional powers to ensure oil and gas operators conform to national and international industry practices and standards.
He added that the DPR had automated its processes in line with the ease of doing the business policy of the Federal Government.
“The DPR has made some new innovations in its operations in order to serve the public better and carry its statutory responsibilities more efficiently and effectively. One of the new innovations is the full implementation of the online processing of downstream licenses, permits, and approvals.
“These were achieved through the Retail Outlets Monitoring System (ROMS), Depots System (DEPOT), Import and Export Permit (IMPEX), Lube Blending Plant System (LBL), Coastal Vessel License System (CVL), and Refinery Operations System (RPL).
“The oil industry service permit application has also been automated through the Oil and Gas Industry Service Permit System (OGISP). What this means is that you can easily make applications from the comfort of your home, office or anywhere in the world,’’ he said.
He assured stakeholders that the oil and industry guidelines and regulations were investor-friendly, designed to ensure operators safely, efficiency and effectiveness.
“Consequently, we have made laudable achievements in the downstream gas utilization.
“The presence of investor-friendly guidelines and standards for the gas sector issued by DPR has seen a rapid growth of gas outlets in the country,” he added.
Channels News is reporting that several passengers are reported to have been injured following a train accident at the Mongoro area of Ikeja, Lagos.
The news channels say that one of the train coaches was said to have fallen off the rail track while in motion, causing another coach to derail, trapping the passengers in them.