blueprint afric logo
   BUSINESS NEWS

UN secretary-general, António Guterres during a message to the commission for social development, disclosed that he is concerned that over 201 million people will be jobless in 2017, with an additional 2.7 million people in 2018.

 Guttere said the world was currently going through a challenging period.
 

“This year, the number of jobless people is expected to exceed 201 million and another 2.7 million could be added to the unemployment rolls by 2018. Anxiety is mounting as societies cope with urbanisation, climate change, population growth and other mega trends. In this effort, we must give top priority to achieving gender equality and the empowerment of women," he said.

Guttere further said the new UN agenda 2030, required a redefinition of traditional planning, monitoring and delivery of sustainable development objectives

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 531 

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), has sought clarity from the United States Government, over the executive order recently enforced by President Donald Trump, restricting citizens from seven countries from entering the US.

IATA represents 265 airlines all around the world and says the order was capable of hampering trade and free movement.

In a statement, the association stated since the order was issued, entry requirements had been changed “significantly and immediately”.

“The EO was issued without prior coordination or warning, causing confusion among both airlines and travelers.

“It also placed additional burdens on airlines to comply with unclear requirements, to bear implementation costs and to face potential penalties for non-compliance,” it said.

Explaining why he made the law, Trump had said: “America is a proud nation of immigrants and we will continue to show compassion to those fleeing oppression, but we will do so while protecting our own citizens and border. America has always been the land of the free and home of the brave.

“We will keep it free and keep it safe, as the media knows, but refuses to say. My policy is similar to what President Obama did in 2011 when he banned visas for refugees from Iraq for six months. The seven countries named in the Executive Order are the same countries previously identified by the Obama administration as sources of terror. To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting.

“This is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe. There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order. We will again be issuing visas to all countries once we are sure we have reviewed and implemented the most secure policies over the next 90 days.”

SOURCE:TODAY.NG

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 611 

Earlier on 23rd January 2017, internet connections was completely shut down in the northwest and southwest of Cameroon, its two main English-speaking regions as a long drawn out mass protest against marginalization by the French-speaking led government persisted.

It is the first time the central African country is tampering with internet connectivity, which has been ongoing in the former Southern Cameroons since Jan. 17.

Internet users in the affected parts of the country found out they could no longer communicate and disseminate information particularly on social media. No prior notice had been given by the government before the internet blackout.

The shutdown came less than two hours after government outlawed the activities of two Anglophone pressure groups—Southern Cameroons National Council and the Cameroon Anglophone Civil Society Consortium. Two leaders of the Consortium, Barrister Nkongho Felix Agbor and Dr. Fontem A. Neba, were arrested same day in Buea and airlifted to the nation’s capital Yaounde. Fast forwarding to today, 1st February 2017, Businesses in Cameroon’s restive Anglophone regions are losing money as a result of the internet cut.

The Internet Without Borders group estimates that small businesses had lost an estimated 44,000,000 CFA Francs, which translates to $723,000 or 675,000 euros. The group wants internet restored to the affected areas as a matter of urgency.

According to a report published today by one of its researchers, beyond the outage being a violation of the rights of citizens, it ‘‘also has consequences for the economy: banking and money transfer agencies closed.’‘

It added that the outage had blocked entrepreneurs who are an important part of the economic activity of the country.

The report also alleged that even though no official communication had been issued by the government, they had information that service providers were ordered to truncate access because of alleged threats to national security.

In a January 23 open letter to the Cameroonian President and sector minister, civil society groups including Internet Sans Frontières, Access Now, The World Wide Foundation, Or Pen International called on the authorities to respect its international commitments and to re-establish the Internet connection throughout Cameroon.

Business owners in the town of Buea, the capital of the Southwest Region of Cameroon have complained of struggling to operate following an internet shutdown.

Internet users said that they can no longer communicate or access information, particularly on social media. Many internet cafes, micro finance institutions and money transfer agencies had to shutdown.

Over 100 people were arrested and one person killed in November last year in the north-western town of Bamenda, following days of violent protests over the alleged discrimination against minority English-speaking people.

French is spoken in eight of Cameroon’s 10 regions and English in the north-western and south-western regions. The Anglophone regions are calling for authorities to stop imposing French on their educational and legal systems.

 

 

 

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 509 

According to reports, acting president, Yemi Osinbajo, has flagged off the distribution of 20,000 solar powered lighting systems in rural communities in Nigeria,

He started the programme, yesterday, at Wuna village, a rural community in Gwagwalada, Abuja, with the distribution of 200 units to the villagers in the first phase.

Osinbajo noted that irrespective of the importance of power to national development, it was not feasible for every Nigerian to tap from the national grid.

The VP said this realisation, compelled government to start searching for alternative means of providing power to less fortunate Nigerians, especially at the grassroots, hence the solar powered systems.

The acting president also disclosed that a total of 20,000 solar system would be distributed in homes across rural communities in the course of the year.

The power system fell in line with government’s objective of increasing energy production from renewable energy sources from 13 per cent of total electricity generation in 2015 to 23 per cent in 2025 and 36 per cent in 2030,including the goal to increase the percentage contribution of solar energy in the total energy mix.

 

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 472 

Movie Producer and comedian AY shared an adorable photo not too long ago on instagram of himself and his daughter. He wished her happy birthday, with the most adorable message. Read what he wrote below:

"I had to catch a flight yesterday to make sure i am home for your special day my darling. Heaven knows that i am one of those parents that are busy in their everyday lives and forget to share with those they love how much they mean to them. 
But today is a wonderful day to come home and celebrate what you mean to daddy. This is very important for me as i watched you come out of an operation alive only a few weeks ago. Besides buying you gifts or throwing a big birthday party for you, this is  also a day of Thanksgiving. This a day to remind you how much you are loved by daddy. 
Just before you came into this world 9 years ago, i remember how broke i was as a proposed father who could not even take care of himself, not to talk of your mum who followed me into the journey with hopes and aspirations for a better tomorrow. Today, you have brought us goodluck.  you have been a well behaved and God fearing child. there is absolutely nothing in comparison to your brilliance. At your age you have resolved issues between daddy and mummy, you have also captured the culture of caring and giving to others who dont have.  you make me walk with my shoulders high everytime i see your results or attend any of your school functions. You have proven to me that a local Warri boy can also be the father of an 'Ajebutter'. Michelle Folashade Adeola Makun, You have brightened my world,  you are like the sunlight that reflects on the raindrops of me and your mum's lives to make beautiful rainbows.  you have been a blessing to us.  Happy Birthday to the sweetest daughter ever!"

 

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 534 

Toyota Motor Corp’s four-year run as the world’s top-selling automaker has ended as the Japanese company said on Monday its global sales for 2016 fell short of Volkswagen AG’s.

Toyota said global sales across its Toyota, Lexus, Daihatsu minicar and Hino Motors Ltd truck brands rose 0.2 per cent to 10.18 million last year from 2015.

This was less than the 10.3 million sold by Volkswagen, which posted record high global sales despite its diesel emissions scandal.

Toyota’s overall global sales were supported by a 5.5 per cent rise in domestic sales for the Toyota brand following new launches for models including the Prius.

Meanwhile, overseas sales slipped 0.6 per cent as demand eased in North America, in and around the Middle East and Africa.

Toyota, which had been the world’s top-selling automaker on an annual basis since 2012, estimates global sales to increase to around 10.23 million vehicles in 2017.

 

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 452 

Hadi Sirika, the Minister of State for Aviation, yesterday presented 2017 Budget proposal of N22, 014,184,703.02 billion to senate, seeking for senate support on adequate funding of the sector.

He said the 2016 budget witnessed a lull in its implementation due to the recession in the economy. “ adding that the aviation sector of the ministry had a total Capital Allocation of N18, 085,012,092 billion.

Sirika disclosed this at the 2017 budget defence before the committee on aviation headed Sen. Bala N’Allah

“The 2016 budget has witnessed a lull in its implementation due to the recession in the economy. As you aware, the aviation sector of the ministry had a total Capital Allocation of N18, 085,012,092 billion in 2016.

“The ministry has worked tirelessly in the past years to uplift the standard of the Nigerian Aviation Industry,” he said.

However, Sirika called for more support from the Senate for the improvement of the Aviation sector.

“To do this, we must ensure that our airports and environs are not only safe and secure but must strive to meet the standard and recommended practices as outlined by various recognised aviation agencies including the International Civil Aviation Organization.

According to Sirika, in 2017, emphasis will be focused on sustaining the infrastructural renewal at the airports by driving the remodeling projects to a logical conclusion.

“The Bilaterl/Multilateral Airspace Services Agreement would be pursued with greater vigour in 2017 to enhance the internally generated revenue of the sector.”

The Minister also said that the Ministry would ensure the establishment of a National Carrier if they received “suitable funding options.”

                                                                                                

 

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 416 

The News Agency of Nigeria in Owerri on Thursday gathered information from citizens of Imo State on their Opinion on the new launched airline by their governor.

A civil servant, Marcel Onuekwe, has said the new Imo Airline would provide job opportunities for the many unemployed youths of the State.

He said the launch of an indigenous airline “is a step in the right direction as it would help in reversing the economic downturn”.

He added that if managed properly, the airline would generate good revenue for the state. This airline is the first of its kind and it will greatly improve the economy of the state if it is properly managed.”

A retired teacher, Benson Nwakuche, said the governor should have redirected the funds used to procure the aircraft towards offsetting pension arrears.

Nwakuche added that the news of the airline would have been better received if the salaries and pension arrears had been cleared.

He said: “This would have been very welcome if the governor had paid off pension arrears before embarking on such a capital intensive project.

“To own and maintain an airline is no mean feat and if the state can handle it then it should be able to pay off our pensions without resorting to tricks.”

Hyacinth Iwuagwu, a farmer, said the government should have invested more in boosting agriculture in the state.

Iwuagwu said this would have improved the agriculture sector as well as provide more employment opportunities in the state.

He said: “If the government had invested instead in agriculture, not only would the economy of the state improve, but more jobs would have also been created.

“Some states have grown so much in the agric sector that they’re even exploring dry season farming, but nothing is being done to encourage farming in the state in spite of its many benefits.

SOURCE:NAN

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 527 

Dr. Bafred Enjugu, the managing director of Port Harcourt Refining company says the refinery can meet its target of making a profit of N1.3 trillion yearly.

Enjugu, made the remark during a media workshop organised by the company in Port Harcourt, Rivers State on Wednesday, said the factors militating against achieving such a feat at present were equipment and security.

He said in spite of the challenges, the doggedness of the staff of the refinery had contributed to the achievements of the company so far.

Enjugu said the refinery made N12.6 billion operating margin in spite of “very low supply” of crude in 2014.

He attributed the feat to the crash in the price of crude oil at the time, adding that a total volume of 188.9 billion barrels of petroleum product was produced.

The figure, he said, was arrived at after netting out the cost of crude, processing, processing chemicals, energy as well as staff salaries and benefits.

Enjugu said that the company ran aground in 2015 due to the absence of crude supply until July 15 when it received approval to process, but was cut off by equipment problem.

He said that the company incurred a loss of N2.25 billion due to the challenges, adding that about N13 billion was made in 2016.

He said: “Now at the end of 2016, which was a better year for us, we made something in the region of about N12 to N13 billion.

“We are yet to complete those figures.

“We made N2.95 billion in December, only after netting out the overhead cost.”

Enguju, however, said the company would meet up with the projected N1.3 trillion profit for the nation once it started operating at 100 per cent capacity.

He said: “We have to take up the challenge to keep the skills.

“We will make sure we deliver on that.

“We have to get all of the N1.3 trillion and beyond.

“We are looking at N1.5 trillion, but we have to upgrade facilities at the PHRC.”

Enjugu commended the Nigerian National Petroleum Company for signing a Memorandum of Understanding with Eni SPA, an Italian company, for the upgrade of the refinery’s equipment.

He said that he had confidence that Eni would assist the refinery to achieve 100 per cent of its target and surpass other competitors.

According him, the modular refineries and Dangote’s refinery posed a serious challenge to the nation’s refineries.

He, however, said the nation has high capacity to meet the consumers’ demand.

Enjugu also said the refinery had entered into partnership with some governments for the production of fuel from agricultural products.

He further said that the company had concluded plans to commence the production of aviation kerosene.

SOURCE:TODAY.NG

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 558 

According to the Minister of Works, Power and Housing, Babtunde Fashola the Federal government has blamed declining electricity supply in the country on liquidity problems, pipeline vandalism and sabotage of oil infrastructure in the Niger Delta.

He briefed newsmen after yesterday’s Federal Executive Council (FEC) ‎meeting presided over by Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, however, disclosed that the government was working hard to address the challenge.‎

According to Fashola, “You heard that there was liquidity problems. Gas suppliers have not been fully paid; generating companies (GENCOs) have also not been fully paid. You heard this ‘back and forth’ between distribution companies (DISCOs) and GENCOs. So, those are some of the issues.”

He explained: ‎”Apart from sabotage that we have had from the Western axis of the Niger Delta, the Escravos Lagos pipeline is not operational, the Forcados export terminal too has been out of operation. If you cannot produce oil you cannot take the gas. And gas is the fuel that the power plants need. You have seen what we have been doing in increasing the capacity in firing transmission but we don’t have gas to fire the plants. That is the reason.”

He said: “We have been meeting with the gas suppliers, trying to see how we can pay off some of these debts, while we fix other problems. As I continue to say, it is not technical, but financial.”

The minister, however, maintained that vandalism of pipelines is not technical. People were destroying, they were angry.

“Also, until we resolve some behavioural issues: people collect money and have not been remitting in a manner that is fair,” Fashola stated.

The Federal Government also pledged to commit additional ‎N3.5 billion for the completion of the Odogunyan transmission sub-station in Ikorodu, Lagos State, to improve power generation.

This, the government said would provide additional transformer capacity at the sub-station as well as 260mva transformers and transmission lines of 132 kva to complete the works in that area generally known within the power industry as Ayobo West.

 

Read More
time posted  comments 0    views 467 
Blueprint T.V
View All Post    
Latest Posts
Latest Tweets
Tweet Us     
Blueafric Media
Ogwugo market
LILBURN FITNESS CENTER ENUGU
Lilburn Product
Lilburn Spa
Lilburn Loyalty Reward Card