Deola Sagoe is the founder of Haute Couture fashion company –“The House of Deola Sagoe”. She is known for her signature elegance and strong designs. Her fashion pieces are more or less wearable works of art. Her designs pair indigenous Nigerian fabric and cuts with western aesthetics.
These are 7 things you probably didn’t know about her;
• She was the first black woman to present a collection at AltaRoma, Rome’s celebrated fashion week. This took place in 2004.
• She has dressed internationally famous personalities and top society ladies such as Lydia Hearst, Alek Wek, Oprah Winfrey and Will Smith etc.
• Deola Sagoe once dabbled into acting. She had a cameo appearance in the 2014 film October 1 where she was portrayed as Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti.
• She grew up in a fashionable environment – According to her “My father and late mother were very stylish people. My mother used to design baby clothes and supply them to branches of British stores in Nigeria, so when I was growing up, I was surrounded by fashion designs and sketches. (Arise media interview)
• She has been in the fashion industry for 25 years.
• She has 3 daughters- Teni, Aba, and Tiwa. They are also quickly following the footsteps of their mother in fashion!
• Deola Sagoe was the recipient of the prestigious MNET/Anglo Gold African Designs 2000 Award, in which she was nominated by Andre Leon Talley.